CDC/MMWR CEC courses
The Certification Maintenance Board has pre-approved several CDC/MMWR Continuing Education Courses. These are free, on-line education courses that can be accessed via your computer at your leisure. They do have expiration dates, which are noted in the attached table. These courses are biosafety-related, and approved for IACET Continuing Education Credit (CEUs). Additional biosafety related courses will be added as they are approved by IACET for CEUs.
- ABSA members who want to get IACET credit for taking courses must register on the MMWR Continuing Education site: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/cme/conted_info.html. There is an information page, and a new user log on page: http://www2a.cdc.gov/TCEOnline/
- Once you logon, you should go to "search and register", then hit Option #2 (Keyword Search). Enter the course ID number from the attached list, and register for the course.
- When you finish the course, there is a quiz (which you must pass) and a certificate. You will be tracking CM points (listed on chart), not CEUs.
- Keep the Certificates for verification, in case you are chosen at random to be audited by the Certification Maintenance Board. If you need to reprint the certificate, the CDC Continuing Education website tracks the courses you have taken and passed.
|Course Name/number||Sponsor||Date||CM Approval Number||CM Points Awarded|
|MMWR Recommendations and Reports - Compendium of Measures to Prevent Disease Associated with Animals in Public Settings, 2011 Course Number: WB1903||CDC||Expires 5/6/2013||11-361||0.250|
University of Bradford
The University of Massachusetts is now offering a unique 12 credit (4 course) Online Graduate Certificate in Laboratory and Biological Safety designed to introduce the principles of identification, evaluation and control of biological and laboratory hazards. This program is geared toward scientists responsible for biological and/or laboratory safety, practicing occupational and environmental hygienists or biosafety officers and those interested in embarking upon a career in biological and/or laboratory safety.
More information is found at: http://continuinged.uml.edu/online/biosafety.cfm
Online Courses available (as part of the certificate or standalone registration):
- 19.508 Principles and Practices of Biological Safety (Required for Certificate)
- 19.516 Laboratory Environmental Health and Safety (Required for Certificate)
- 36.580 Clinical Applications of Molecular Genetics (An Elective for Certificate)