Members of the American Biological Safety Association (ABSA) are expected to conduct themselves in an ethical manner as they practice their profession. ABSA members should:
- Maintain personal integrity and act responsibly to uphold the integrity of the profession.
- Avoid situations, and actively work to prevent occurrences presenting a conflict of interest or that will compromise professional judgement.
- Provide biological safety services only in areas of competence.
- Follow recognized biological safety guidelines and standards as set forth by established professional groups or local, state and federal governmental agencies, centers, or institutes, in performing work in biological safety.
- Provide information regarding potential risks to employee or environmental health and precautions needed to avoid adverse effects.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding services provided.